MAKER STUDIOS INTRODUCES POLARIS,
TO FOCUS ON GAMING AND GEEK CULTURE
* * * * * *
New Network Features YouTube’s Top Gamers, Including PewDiePie, Yogscast and
Dodger Plus Robust Line-Up of Original Programming
* * * * * *
Polaris to Co-Host ‘Gaming Thursday’ on August 8
During YouTube’s First-Ever Geek Week
LOS ANGELES – Maker Studios, a next-generation media company and the world’s largest multi-channel network of online video content, today announced a new collaborative gaming and geek culture network—Polariswww.youtube.com/polaris, powered by the best and biggest gamers on YouTube. Formerly known as The Game Station (TGS), Polaris represents every flavor of fandom, from 8-bit nostalgia to e-sports enthusiasts, and from superhero fanatics to anime lovers. Polaris also features top gaming talent such as PewDiePie, creator and star of the most viewed YouTube channel in the world; Dodger, the #1 female gamer on YouTube; The Yogscast, the largest gaming channel in the UK, as well as Toby Turner, Jesse Cox, HuskyStarCraft, TotalBiscuit, Day, GameGrumps, Markiplier, and more.
“By re-launching our gaming channel as Polaris, we’ll be able to focus not only on videogames, but offer original content that embodies our deep love of pop culture, movies, comics and all-things-geek, said Dar Nothaft, Vice President and general manager of Polaris, Maker Studios. “We are excited to bring all of our talent together in one collaborative hub—the new center of geek culture.”
In addition to offering game reviews and showcasing the latest trailers, Polaris’ line-up of innovative original programming celebrating gaming and geek culture includes:
· PewDiePie & Friends – The biggest gamer in the world PewDiePie tackles his favorite games in a playhouse atmosphere, joined by other Polaris stars such as Toby Turner, Dodger and Jesse Cox.
· The Daily Byte – Hosted by Dodger of PressHeartToContinue, the #1 female gamer on YouTube dishes daily on the top nerdy headlines. “The Daily Byte” also features some of Dodger’s own personal picks and recommendations for tech, pop culture, comic books and geek chic.
· Rumble Zone – In this duel-to-the-death gameplay tournament, “Rumble Zone” features personalities from Polaris as they compete in multiplayer gaming and post training videos of their preparation. They’ll either compete in bracketed tournaments or battle royale style. Featuring Simon and Lewis of the Yogscast, these tournaments will showcase gamers competing for glory, vengeance and honor.
· FriendZone – Join Dodger, members of the Polaris community and special guests for a casual, live hangout every other Friday. Like a pizza party sleepover, this wacky, fun, authentic roundtable will feature guests playing new or interesting games, watching new or favorite shows, or just discussing recent nerdy news.
· Co-Optional Podcast – The spiritual successor to The Game Station (TGS) Podcast, TotalBiscuit, Jesse Cox, Dodger and a feature guest discuss (at length) gaming news each Wednesday, and spotlight cool and interesting content from the Polaris network.
· Broken Quest – Airing every Thursday, “Broken Quest” features the animated adventures of a group of hapless warriors in a dangerous fantasy setting. Starring Polaris veterans HuskyStarcraft, Dodger and beloved geeky chef Rosanna Pansino, the show features Polaris network talent including Day9, TotalBiscuit and Jesse Cox.
· Mobile Countdown – Mobile Countdown provides suggestions for the best mobile games on the market. Our favorite female gamer Dodger plays a variety of personalities in need of mobile-based entertainment – from young women stranded by broken cars to company executives at boring presentations – and these personalities present the top three games suggested for viewers each week.
Recently selected to participate in YouTube’s first-ever Geek Week August 4-10, Polaris will co-host Gaming Thursday, which will feature live play-throughs, videogames in real life, game-inspired original series and much more. Geek Week will showcase more than 100 channels fans love, unveiling new videos, series premieres and creative collaborations - as well as highlighting some of the best geek videos and shows already on YouTube.
The Polaris channel serves as a hub for a broad network, which attracts more than 1 billion+ views a month across 500+ top channels. Chris M. Williams, Chief Development Officer, oversees Polaris along with Maker’s other major vertical channels. The Polaris leadership team includes Dar Nothaft, VP/General Manager of Polaris, Luis Medina, Director of Partnerships, Isaac Zucca, Director of Programming, Nathan Kitada, Director of Branded Integration, Sarah Wick, Talent Strategy Manager, and David Rostal, Head of Network Development.
Polaris is a geek culture network powered by the best and biggest gamers on YouTube. Polaris represents every flavor of fandom, from 8-bit nostalgia to first-person shooters, and from superhero fanatics to anime lovers. The network’s innovative programming is a celebration of gaming and geek culture, featuring editorial coverage on the stories that matter to its audience. The Polaris channel serves as a hub for a broad network (formerly The Game Station, TGS), which attracts 1 billion+ views a month across 500+ top channels. To learn more, visit http://www.youtube.com/Polaris
About Maker Studios:
Maker is a next-generation, talent-first media company and the only network to offer its partners a full range of vertically integrated services including development, production, promotion, distribution, sales and marketing. Maker has built a proprietary technology suite of products to assist talent in measuring, developing and engaging audience. Maker is home to many of online video’s top digital stars and content including KassemG, Nice Peter and EpicLLOYD’s “Epic Rap Battles of History,” the Shaytards, Snoop Dogg’s WestFestTV, The Yogscast, The Gregory Brothers, Bad Lip Reading and Mike Tompkins, among many others. Maker has 4 billion+ views online per month with over 260 million subscribers and is headquartered in Culver City, Calif. To learn more, visit www.makerstudios.com.